Staying Awake in The City That Never Sleeps....

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Jump in, Jump out, Turn yourself about

When I was younger we sang a song that went:

"Jump in! Jump out! Turn yourself about! Jump in! Jump Out! Introduce yourself!!"

We would stand in a circle jumping in and out, then we'd take turns introducing ourselves and our plans for the future:

"My name is CeCe (yeah!) and I'm gonna be a model (uh huh!) for the rest of my life (for the rest of her life!)"

"Hey! Jump in! Jump Out! Turn Yourself about!...."

Sometimes it seems like the week before Valentines Day turns into a huge game of "Jump in! Jump out!"

Jump In:
The week before Valentines Day gives some of us the urge to jump into a relationship. I've watched my friend Steven research every spa, restaurant and diamond pendant for a girl he thought he was breaking things off with two weeks ago.

Jump Out:
Then there are the people who choose this time of year to decide they dont want to be in a relationship. My friend Kenzie has to deal with the anxiety that comes from her boyfriend choosing the week of Valentines Day to break-up with her last year. They got back together soon after, but the damage is definitely done.

Yesterday afternoon (two days before V-Day) my friend Ayanna sent me an email about the great lunch date she had with the new guy she's been seeing. She even mentioned that she could see herself falling for him, only to text me that evening saying she was "done with him".

Turn Yourself About:
There are also the singles who spend this week running in circles trying to find a date for February 14th. This week I've gotten emails and a phone call from guys I dated in the past and havent heard from in a long time. I didn't bother replying to the emails, but I indulged the phone conversation which eventually turned to my Valentines Day plans.

A quick scan of the always entertaining Craigslist personals also proved that a Valentines Day date is a top goal for many New York Singles.

As for me, I'm not sure where I stand. In the back of my mind I thought that maybe Crick would come through and make some much needed plans with me, but he didn't and I'm okay with that. I could have taken the bait and had a V-Day date with a past beau just for the sake of having one, but I know it wouldn't have meant anything.

I think what's more important to me is the introduction part of the game. I just look forward to the day I can Jump in, introduce myself and confidently add "for the rest of my life" at the end.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear you. Sort of like New years. it's "holiday" that makes you rush into things and feel like a loser if you don't have plans... When really, it's a hallmark holiday.

Knight said...

Well done! I heart my Alias. Please never make me play this game. It's happening in life anyway. Love the personals link. That amused me for a bit. I think the best choice for the entire month of February is hiding in your apartment with a wine delivery number.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a great entry. I love the format and it's tie in to that game you used to play when you were younger. Of course now I realize I've been missing all your passed entries and I have to catch up.
I think it's really strong of you not to settle for a V-day date just for the sake of having one on the day. It gets pretty desperate around this time. What's always been more important to me is to have the day mean something rather than just provide myself a filler. But I've loved Valentines Day even when I was single. I always found a way to celebrate it no matter what.
I heart hearts.
: )