Staying Awake in The City That Never Sleeps....

Monday, February 18, 2008

Bookstores and Baby Powder

Sometimes, something as simple as a trip to the local bookstore can become an adventure, like one Saturday night when we dropped into Barnes & Noble to kill time before a movie.

As we rode the bookstore Escalators to the top floor, we were greeted by floating particles in the air and the distinct smell of urine.

We got in line and saw a manager in the corner with a woman who was speaking loudly as he glanced around nervously.

She had big curly salt and pepper hair, a tattered leather jacket and even though it was well after 9pm, she wore huge sunglasses over her sunken eyes. She held a small bottle of baby powder in the air.

"Ma'am, I'm going to ask you to leave" the manager said quietly.

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!?!?" she asked wildly.

The manager stared at her blankly.

"DO YOU??"

"Ma'am I--"

She began to emphasize her words by whipping the bottle of baby powder, around as she spoke.

"I'm with the F-B-I!!!" she exclaimed.

The F! (powder) B! (powder) I! (powder)

By the end of the sentence, the manager was dusted with a fresh layer of baby powder. He sputtered and coughed a little, then he just walked away.

I couldn't believe I had paid 10 bucks for a movie, just to get a show at B&N for free.

2 comments:

A. said...

Hahaha ahaha...that's hysterical.

Unknown said...

I've heard this story before and it's just as funny reading it.
LOL! Oh my God. Priceless.