Staying Awake in The City That Never Sleeps....

Friday, February 8, 2008

A Brief Note On...Eyebrows

Let me start by saying, I understand that eyebrows can make or break ones look. I have a standing appointment every two weeks to have my brows threaded by a wonderful girl named Rani. Even the best smokey eyeshadow can be ruined if its framed by a bushy unibrow...I get it.

But this morning, as I was headed downtown on the 2 train, I looked up from my book for a moment and caught a glimpse of a woman leaning on the doors, with a mirror out, tweezing her eyebrows.


Yes, the bright flourecent bulbs of the New York subway reflecting on the windows of the train doors may shed some light (pun intended) on your less than perfect arches. But the subway is a place for iPod listening, reading the news paper over a strangers shoulder and begging for change.

The subway is not a place for grooming!

2 comments:

Knight said...

I have also seen someone tweezing on the subway, in a seat, surrounded by strangers. It's gross. I think I might prefer sitting next to the sleeping homeless man that recently urinated on himself as opposed to the person actively grooming next to me and leaving the removed bits floating around us. Maybe I'll try standing next to them and shaving my armpits to get the point across next time.

A. said...

The other night there was a woman standing in a terribly crowded subway car putting on eyeliner, (and elbowing her neighbors in the process), and I'm sitting there thinking really? On a moving subway? Are you TRYING to lose an eye? Tweezing is definitely worse though....