Staying Awake in The City That Never Sleeps....

Thursday, November 29, 2007

A first sip....

The first time I had wine I wasn’t particularly impressed. From then on, I would have a glass here or there but it was nothing I craved. Drinking more than a single glass of wine was not something I did.

Then, around the time I turned twenty, I had a glass of wine that changed my life it was a Cabernet and it was amazing.

For the first time in my life I wanted a second glass.

All this time I thought that I wasn’t a wine person, but it turned out I had just been drinking sub-par wines. It was then that I began to explore the types of wine that suited my palate.

In the same way that I went so long drinking a single glass of wine and never wanting more, I am the queen of first dates. I go on first dates all the time but when a guy calls for a second, I’m not interested.

Looking back, I suppose I could have forced second glasses of wine, but wine is meant to be enjoyed not suffered though so… wouldn’t that defeat the purpose?

I recently encountered the dating equivalent to my Catalyst Cabernet. I went on a date with a perfectly aged, full bodied, man with nutty overtones and he suited my palate perfectly.

Even after the first sip of wine there is always more to be discovered; an infusion that you didn’t notice before or combinations of food that bring out flavors you didn’t know were there.

All I can say is that the taste of my first date is still lingering and I can’t stop thinking of having second glass.

5 comments:

Knight said...

Well, you have captured my interest.

Warnings: Beware of Nutty overtones. It is not advisable to have more than 4 servings in a single night as you might find yourself doing things out of character.

I had this delicious Pinot Noir at a steakhouse the other night. It was so bold it almost tasted like a Cab but after the initial bite it smoothed into the classic Pinot Noir texture. I really think you would like it. I'll hunt the name down.

Knight said...

On my second read through of this post I can't help but think this sounds very sexual. Like that is what you are really talking about. I know that it wasn't intended to sound that way but that versatility just means it is really well written.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Wow! What a sexy entry!
I always think of wine as an acquired taste. I didn't like any kind of alcohol when I was in my early twenties. I would always force beer down at parties just for the sake if it. But wine was never my thing and then at some point I was at dinner with Ben and had some red wine that really made everything taste amazing or tasted better the more I ate; I don't remember. That was when I discovered that wine is different than grape juice. It is complex and full of character and it changes with every sip and or re-opening.
Really nice analogy for relationships and chemistry!