Staying Awake in The City That Never Sleeps....

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentines Day New York... I heart You!

It was a bitter winter evening when my friend Jay and I boarded the #1 train.

As we sat down, we immediately took notice of a group of Spanish speaking tourists who were in a jovial mood that transcended any language barriers.

As our train barreled uptown, they laughed and told jokes in Spanish. Their laughter was so contagious that we couldn't help but laugh too. Then out of the blue, one of the guys broke into a rendition of the song "La Bamba".

At that exact moment the train pulled into the station, the doors opened and a man entered carrying a guitar. He saw the tourist, who he did not know, singing and offered the guitar to him.

The tourist grabbed the guitar began to play and soon the entire train was singing "La Bamba" at the top of their lungs.

One of the other tourists whipped out her camera and began to film. She told us that she would post the video on YouTube and title it "1 train uptown".

A few months later I randomly did a search and there it was!

Unfortunately there is no sound, but one of my favorite New York Moments was captured and I can't help but share it with you.


I Heart NY.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Only in New York... only in New York. I <3 NY

Knight said...

I love that one of these moments was caught on tape. Random footage of you and Jay posted by a stranger on Youtube is priceless. Funny you should post this. I was JUST thinking about it yesterday.